Sunday, January 6, 2013

Leonard Baskin

When I was in college at Kutztown University back in the late 1970's, there was a Leonard Baskin print hanging in the Sheridan Art Building, where I spent most of my time.  It was his Angel of Death woodcut (see first image below) and it made an impression on me that I will never forget.  I had never before seen a piece of art like this. What an impactful, visceral image!  Since then I have sought out Baskin's work, whether sculpture, drawings, prints, illustrations or books from his own Gehenna Press, the longest running privately owned printing press in the country.  Said Baskin, "People like me, who care about printing- the architecture of the page- constitute the tiniest lunatic fringe in the nation."

Baskin was a sculptor of renown, a writer and illustrator of books, a talented watercolorist and a superb, prolific printmaker.  

















See more HERE.










1 comment:

  1. There is such a raw element to his works. Love all of the line work.

    ReplyDelete